October is breast cancer awareness month, and so I wanted to share this on my blog! Although I have been blessed with healthy women in my family, I still know many friends that have been affected by breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death among women.
- Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed and more than 40,000 will die
Since it is such a huge concern for women in our country, remember to do these things to help detect and/or prevent breast cancer:
- Perform self-breast exams monthly, getting to know your breasts, so you can know what is normal and abnormal
- Once you reach the age of 40, get a yearly mammogram (or earlier than 40 if breast cancer is in your family history)
- Know the risk factors for breast cancer, some of which can be prevented and analyze your own risk
So, go out and do something to support breast cancer awareness! A month ago, I did a 5k run to support it! What are you going to do?? I challenge you to do something the rest of this month to support this growing cause for women, whether it's educating someone else, taking care of yourself by doing your self exam, getting a mammogram, making a donation, doing a run/walk or even wearing pink! Anything helps!
And...go check out The Daily Tay for an awesome giveaway she is doing! She is teaming up with a group of awesome bloggers for one huge giveaways! One of the wonderful sponsors is my friend at 3 Oh 1 Grace St.